Close Call by Stella Rimington

Close Call - Stella Rimington

Close Call is the first book by Dame Stella Rimington I’ve read. I’m glad I did, as I enjoyed reading this book. Having not read the previous 7 books in this series, I can’t compare or say if the series is getting better or not. What I can say is that this book can be read as a stand-alone and you won’t feel left out of anything in the plot.

Close Call tells the story of MI5 officer Liz Carlyle and her team, an action packed story that takes you on a wild trip around the UK, France, Germany, and Yemen, as these agents join forces with the French and US agencies to stop a very nasty and harmful arms trafficking plan. I don’t want to spoil anything, but let me tell you that this story has enough drama, action, thrill, mystery, and even love. I mean, counterterrorism, espionage, and a strong powerful female special agent leading the pack, need I say more?

The writing is good in the way that you can actually picture the scenes in your head without any trouble. I don’t like to compare and I hope those who follow this series don’t kill me for this, but it felt like reading about the action filled adventures of the male movie characters of our times in a female character. 8-)

I liked this story since the start, although I must say that I felt there were too many characters in the story for my taste, but it’s a good special agent story. The conflict is believable. It’s actually a little scary because as you read you feel like it could happen in real life or even worse, it could have even already happened without any of us knowing! o_O

The author’s 27 years of experience in MI5 (she got to be the director of MI5) is a great advantage in writing this credible story. She gives readers a clear insight of what goes around those agencies and the hard work these people do to keep the world safe, without letting us forget that behind the suits, disguises and guns, they are real people with lives that get sort of put on hold because of their jobs.

In the end I was glad everything was solved, despite the casualties (that was sad to read). But it was a good story that left me with no questions. If I have the opportunity, I would check out the previous and next adventures in the Liz Carlyle saga.

Close Call is a fast paced book. One that will keep you expectant and hungry for more. If you’re a thriller lover, you might have already read this, but in case you haven’t, check it out. You won’t be deceived.

Buy on Amazon US

Buy on Amazon UK

Review cross-posted from my blog. Text contains affiliate links.
Source: http://bloggeretterized.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/read-reviewed-42-close-call-liz-carlyle-8-by-stella-rimington