The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
I’ve been dreading, well not dreading but delaying writing this review because as much as I wanted it to be a great one, I know it’s not going to be all praise and glory for this book. I was expecting so much out of it. Almost every book blogger I follow has read this one and has left marvelous reviews and is waiting like a kid waits for Santa for the movie that is being made of this book.

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”

I wanted this book to be the life changing one the quote refers to, but after reading The Fault in Our Stars, I felt disappointed because it was only an OK read. Nothing more.

It’s not that I’m an insensitive harsh person, as I can identify with the cause. I’m a relative of a cancer survivor. I have to give credit to the author on how he approaches the whole cancer situation. The book is to some extent informative and I’m sure it can be helpful to learn a little of what you can expect being either a cancer patient or a relative of a cancer patient.

Hazel is a likeable character from the get go. She had me at: "...because my lungs sucked at being lungs." I thought that was a fun witty line but you know what they say, once or twice is silly/funny, more than that is boring. She said that line more times than needed (4, if my mind doesn’t betray me). I felt like the author tried too hard to make these characters cool and fun despite their life situation. Yes, he made them talk and think like full grown adults, but in the end they were 2 kids going through an awkward misfit adolescent phase and also suffering from cancer.

The love story was totally predictable, as in all of the YA reads. I felt the “road trip” to Anne Frank’s house was irrelevant. They could’ve travelled somewhere around the US to look for the author and sneak back to the hotel room to have sex despite being sick. No need to fly to the other side of the world to do that. Kissing on Anne Frank’s house to me was like trying to steal Anne Frank’s thunder. For me her diary is a life changing read, and just the fact that the author tried to compare Anna’s first kiss in hiding to these kids’ kiss was not a good idea for me.

Yes the sad part was sad, but it wasn’t tear drenching heart wrecking excruciating tragedy inflicting to me. And this fact surprised me, because I’m old enough to admit that I cried like there was no tomorrow while watching Titanic. ha ha ha XD Sadly the sad part in TFiOS was just sad and nothing more.

I know TFiOS has a legion of faithful fans. I know that with this review I might get their Blue Steel stares (I can’t believe I wrote a Zoolander reference ha ha ha). But I now I have to be true to myself and say that this was only an OK read.

I recommend this book for teenagers who want their feelings to go on a rollercoaster ride. Adults who want to read this, do it with an open mind knowing that it’s just a teen romantic tragedy, spiced up with a little teen wisdom and humor.