Kate's Song

Kate's Song - Jennifer Beckstrand Read full review on my blog

I got this book without even realizing it was going to be an Amish love story. I got attracted to this book by the title. I didn’t know what to expect from this one. I must confess I had no notion of the Amish religion.

It is a fast paced Amish love story. I read it in 4 days. So if you’re in the mood for a quick read, this one is for you.

I have to say that right from the start I found the story predictable. Kate has two options. She has to chose between following her dream or following her heart. I would’ve been highly surprised if in the end she chose the not predictable path, but like I said, right from the start you kinda know what way she’ll go. She had already made her choice. She just took a long while to realize and accept that fact.

On the other hand, don’t let this predictability factor fool you. The story has interesting twists that make it entertaining. It surprised me to read certain attitudes I didn’t expect to find in the Amish culture. It was a little misleading to read that people who believe in finding good and God’s grace in everything, had no problem to rudely and harshly criticize, judge and condemn Kate for taking her time to make the decision she was expected to make.

Kate had to deal with a lot of gossip, hate, bullying and betrayal. They all seemed to hate her because she was different. They didn’t have a problem alienating her without even letting her explain the situation. I couldn’t believe how naive and close minded these people were portrayed and how fast they can make bad radical judgments without even thinking of giving the benefit of the doubt.

The love story per se is one for the hopeless romantics. Nathaniel, even though he’s a little too corny for my taste, said everything you want the man you love to say. He had his way with words, not only on the romantic side but also on the spiritual side. I ended up highlighting certain things he said, and found them spiritually uplifting.

But even though he said the right things, his actions were contradictory. His reaction to the big conflict in the story made me want to punch him in the face. Thankfully the non-Amish brought him to his senses.

The title ends up making sense until the end. Kate’s Song was a beautiful one and I liked how the song could also be considered as a character in the book.

The end is a happily ever after one. Which could be enough, but not for me. I wish she would’ve found a way to have it all: her dream and love. It’s a fake story, so everything is possible in fake-land. Make me believe that you don’t have to give up anything to find happiness. That’s why this one didn’t get 5 stars.

Another reason it didn’t get 5 stars is because I wanted to know more. I could read one more chapter on their happily ever after life. I mean, you can never have too many sprinkles or frosting on a cake, can you?

It would have been nice to have an extra chapter in the end, where we could picture the first days post wedding. See how she adjusted back to her Amish life. Oh and definitely it would have been nice to read something about Kate rocking a baby on her perfect chair and singing a lullaby. A baby that got Kate’s gift .

I would have given this book 3 stars, but the fact that it was on my mind for a few days after I finished it (3 days to be exact) made me give it 4 stars.

I would read this author’s other books. Not that I’m eager to do it, but if I stumble upon her other books later in life, I would read them.

Kate’s Song is an easy read. If you’re in the mood for a sweet, fast paced love story in the Amish country with a mix of jealousy, betrayal, conflict, confusion, and a battle between choosing with your heart or with your mind, this one is the book for you.