Then and Always by Dani Atkins

Then and Always: A Novel - Dani Atkins

Then and Always is the American title for the British novel: Fractured by Dani Atkins. I don’t understand the title change, as fractured fits the story better in my opinion. The cover is nice. It for sure attracts the female public the book is directed too.

Then and Always is a good story. You can say it starts with a buzz. The first scene made an impact on me. Let me say that from now on, I’ll have to think twice before sitting by the windows in restaurants. You never know what might happen!

But then flash forward 5 years, another accident happens and as you read you get sort of confused, not knowing what is reality and what is not. There are two realities/worlds. First I believed that what Rachel, the MC, believed was true, but then again, some things didn’t make sense. But in the midst of this reality confusion I kept reading. It is written in a way that even though I knew I wasn’t fully invested in this story, I wanted to find out what happened in the end.

Despite the fact that the ending was quite predictable, the last part of the story kept me turning the pages non-stop. But then I read the ending and was dissatisfied. Didn’t like it. It didn’t make me feel happy or sad. It was just “meh”. I thought it would be a happily ever after ending but it’s not.

I like my reviews to be spoiler free, but in this case I can’t explain why this book wasn’t the greatest love story ever for me without throwing some major plot spoilers. You can read the spoilers and the full review on my blog.

Then and Always is not a bad book, it is a conventional love story. Chick lit, just that. I wanted to adore this book, as I had seen so much praise for it online. I expected it to be one of those amazing breathtaking love stories but sadly for me it wasn’t. Yes it had its good moments. But I wasn’t completely melted away by it. And that Titanic-ish ending, was too predictable. The premise had a lot of potential, but it could have been executed in a better way. It’s a fast and easy read, a good story, just not one I would run to the bookstore to buy.

If you haven’t read this book, do so. Your reading experience will be totally different from mine and you might adore this story like almost everyone else seems to have.

USA: Available on Paperback, Kindle and Audiobook.click to buy from Amazon US

UK: Available on Paperback and Audiobook (audiobook version of Fractured) click to buy on Amazon UK

NOTE Aug. 1 Fractured is the free book of the week on Itunes Australia.

p.s. Contains affiliate links.