A Study in Scarlet

A Study in Scarlet - Tom Thomas,  Arthur Conan Doyle
I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skillful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.
― Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet

I never thought I would read a Sherlock Holmes book. Why? Because the little narrow-minded part of my brain or as Holmes better said my "little empty attic" thought it was a book for boys (ha ha ha) and I was biased by the Sherlock Holmes movies of our times. Yes, I know, never judge a book by its movie, but in this case I was guilty as charged. I am not fond of the Robert Downey Jr. movies. I don't hate him, (I'm his fan ever since Chances Are) but his Holmes movies didn't click with me.

Anyway this is not about the movie, I just wanted to state why I hadn't read a Holmes book. But there comes a time when you say why not? And I'm glad it happened.

I enjoyed reading this book. I read it in a day and a half. It is divided into two parts, some people complain about the second part. I didn't have any problem relating one part with the other. The plot is good. We meet Sherlock Holmes and Watson. We see them get acquainted or as Rick would say "the beginning of a beautiful friendship".

Let me see—what are my other shortcomings? I get in the dumps at times, and don't open my mouth for days on end. You must not think I am sulky when I do that. Just let me alone, and I'll soon be right. What have you to confess now? It's just as well for two fellows to know the worst of one another before they begin to live together.― Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet

I definitely admire Watson, after that first conversation with Holmes, I would never have thought of having him as a roommate. But I guess Watson was able to see more than just Holmes' shortcomings bizarre character. Oh and yes we see how a case is solved.

I imagine that when this book was first published it was a very controversial one, as it deals with a sort of tabu-ish theme of polygamy in the Mormon religion and a crime as a result of that.

I won't get into the polygamist Mormon deal because that would be a whole new post. I'll say that I don't approve polygamy but from a reader point of view, the story was entertaining. I recommend this book, it is a page turner. The way the story is told and how everything unveiled is utterly entertaining.

I gave this book 4.5 stars only because I didn't have a jaw breaking moment in the end. I sort of figured it out before Holmes finally solved the case. (in your face Sir Arthur!! hahahaha) Also, for me a 5 star book is one that is a life changer, one that you would like to read over and over. This one, as entertaining as it was, is not that for me, but it's definitely a Good Read. Every empty attic needs this one.

After such a great experience reading this one I will read the Sherlock Holmes Collection. :)

Check out my blog for more reviews and extra things to read.