Don't Even Think About It

Don't Even Think About It - Sarah Mlynowski

The premise is simple: Teens in a High School get a flu shot that gives them telepathy. Can you imagine? I mean, teens “normally” act as if they know everything, but the characters in this book can hear everyone’s thoughts, they indeed know e v e r y t h i n g.

They of course find a way to take advantage of their new power. You read about dates, tests, and all the teen secrets, dramas and adventures that are made better because of the mind reading. You also read the fails this new power brings. Some are awkward: hearing parents’ libidinous thoughts, finding out someone that works in your school was a stripper, etc.

The writing style is for teens. Simple dialogues and vocabulary. There is not one narrator. Actually you don’t know who the narrator is, because it is written in the first person plural, as if all the telepathic teens wrote the story at the same time. How that would happen in real life beats me. I can’t imagine 23 kids getting together and agreeing on how to tell their story.

The end didn’t make sense (but then again, does YA make sense?). It makes grown-ups and even the government look dumb. The “problem” apparently had a simple solution. Nothing paranormal or futuristic. And as simple as it may be, it is not believable.

Kids will get money and a new shot to fix the “problem”. Just like that. And then some kids decide not to get the antidote shot and supposedly live happily ever after with the telepathy.

(show spoiler)

Anyway, this one is for the older teenagers. To some this might sound a bit exaggerated but I have to say it. I don’t think it is for young teens as there is some sexual content. The parents are absent in the story and those who come up, are portrayed as distracted, horny parents. There is also a phrase that caught my attention: “They didn’t have sex, but they did everything else.” I know kids today are having sex and we can’t prevent that, but really? I know there are still some innocent naïve kids out there. It’s hard enough for them to start finding out about their bodies and hormones, surrounded at the same time by sexual content in music and TV. Getting kids to read is a big deal, but please, let’s fill their minds with edifying productive ideas. Any naïve kid reading this would want to find out what everything else is, and of course try it ASAP.

Don’t Even Think About it by Sarah Mlynowski is a fast read, for teen girls, I would say 16 years old and up. If you are an adult it is a very simple fast read to pass the time in between big adult-ish books.