Slices of Life by Leah Eskin

Slices of Life: A Food Writer Cooks through Many a Conundrum - Leah Eskin

Full review on my blog

I had never read a cookbook like Slices of Life by Leah Eskin. Was it a cookbook? I’m still in doubt.

Slices of Life is a collection of essays that Leah Eskin has posted on her Chicago Tribune column: “Home on the Range“. In each essay, Leah Eskin shares a slice of her memorable life moments. Each slice is matched with a recipe that is suitable for that particular moment in her life. In terms of her recipes, they look doable and simple, nothing too fancy or complicated.

I gave it 3.5 stars because for starters I had a hard time getting into her sense of humor and writing style. The book comes with cartoon-like images of some of the slices of her life that I thought could have been better. Another thing missing from this cookbook that doesn’t look like a cookbook were pictures of the recipes. And the ARC copy I had didn't have a recipe index. The recipes are not in the usual cookbook order. They come randomly mixed up. Emphasis on randomly!

I couldn’t review a “cookbook”, without at least trying one recipe from Slices of Life. So I finally had time and I tried her Best-Friend Biscuits (page 21 on my ARC copy). Without further ado let me tell you this recipe was a hit with my canine friends.

Slices of Life is not your regular cookbook. This is also not a book to read in one sitting. It is an unconventional memoir which gives you a glimpse into Leah Eskin’s life. Each memory is better taken one at a time. I’m sure it works fine on her column. Not sure it works that well on a book. This book is like a cake, you take it slice by slice. No slice is the same, each one is different. Some taste better than the others, and to fully enjoy them, it’s better if they are broken into small pieces and eaten a bite at a time.

buy on amazon