The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

The Here and Now - Ann Brashares

Full review on my blog.

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares is a YA story marketed as “an unforgettable epic romantic thriller” about Prenna James, a 17-year-old girl from the future, year 2090, who might be able to save the world if she manages to “follow the rules, remember what happened and never fall in love“.

I first heard of this book on the NetGalley’s Book Buzz Spring / Summer 2014 edition. The premise is very attractive. Time traveling to “save the world”. But what attracted me the most was that cover. It is eye-catching. The colors are my favorite colors in the world. The photograph behind the diamond art is intriguing. Thumbs up for the cover designer. It’s on my list of pretty covers.

It starts OK. Good intro. Prenna comes back from the future. An ugly future where the human race is becoming extinct thanks to a dengue-like disease caused by mosquitos. She’s not the only one, there’s a whole colony of 1000 people from the future living in the past. Ethan meets Prenna. He falls in love with her instantly as expected in YA reads. Their relationship is forbidden. But they begin an adventure together, breaking the rules to save the world.

I liked this story. I gave this book 3 stars because it started with a good premise and had a refreshingly unexpected ending for a YA story, but there are many loose ends. Read more about this on my blog.

I’m not a parent but I always comment on sex in YA books. I was gladly surprised that there is no premature teen sex in this book. Yes, they talk about it and even “sleep” together as in fall asleep in the same bed only, but gladly no sex. They get close, but they do have self-control. Also there are a couple of murders, graphically described, but sadly kids are watching so much violence on TV that maybe some might not be affected at all by this.

The Here and Now is a super-fast entertaining read. Definitely a book for teens 13 and up. It’s quick, light, entertaining and perfect for summer. If you are a grown-up and want to read it, do it with an open mind and don’t try to make sense of everything. That’s the only way you’ll fully enjoy it.

click to buy from amzon US click to buy on Amazon UK