Before I Wake by C.L. Taylor

Before I Wake - C.L. Taylor

The cover captivated me. It is not only pretty but I think it suits the story perfectly.It looks like someone is cleaning a misted or fogged glass window, trying to reveal the image/person/thing behind. To me it represents what Sue is doing throughout the book: uncovering “secrets”, her daughter’s and her own secrets.

The premise is great. Sue’s teenage daughter apparently attempted suicide. Sue, is trying to find out the whys of her daughter’s decision. She finds an entry in her daughter’s diary that talks about a secret. Sue takes the mission of trying to find out what this secret is.

From the get go I was hooked and intrigued by the "secret". The way the story unfolded makes you want to find out the mystery behind the “secret”. I liked how Sue put all the clues together and how the truth started coming out.

As Sue is uncovering the events that led to her daughter’s “accident”, secrets from Sue’s own past start coming out. Secrets that may or may not have to do with her daughter’s suicide attempt.

Before I Wake is a page turner. It can be read in one sitting. Even though the ending had a couple of loose ends for my taste, Before I Wake was definitely an entertaining, captivating, read. If you’re in the mood for a fast paced mystery, this is the book for you. Before I Wake is CL Taylor’s debut novel, published in the UK as The Accident. I look forward to her next books.

Buy on Amazon US
Buy on Amazon UK

For more about the characters, spoilers etc. read the full review on my blog.

Contains affiliate links.